Here are a few 2009 facts on small businesses in Canada
- Small and medium-size businesses account for over 58% of total employment
- Of Canada’s 1.04 million businesses with employees, approximately 78% employ less than 5 people. About 97% employ fewer than 50
- One in six Canadians, approximately 2.5 million, count themselves as self-employed
- More than half of Canada’s self-employed operate their business from home
- Self-employment creates 75% of all new jobs in Canada.
- Approximately 130,000 new small businesses are created each year
- Clearly, small business is a very important and growing sector of Canada’s overall economy.