How much do you know about small business in Canada? Below are some interesting stats from Industry Canada.
What is the definition of a small business in Canada?
- 1 to 4 employees: Micro-enterprise
- 5 to 100: Small business
- 101 to 499: Medium-sized business
- 500-plus: Large business
How many small businesses are there in Canada?
- The total number of registered employer businesses in Canada (businesses with at least one employee on payroll) as of December 2010, the most recent figure available: 1,138,761
- 1,116,423 of those were small businesses, comprising 98 per cent of all employer businesses in Canada.
How many Canadians work for small businesses?
- 5,137,147 (48.3 per cent of Canada’s total workforce)
- In 2005, 41 per cent of employed Canadians worked for businesses with fewer than 20 employees.
(Source: Industry Canada calculations using data from Statistics Canada)